2007年12月30日 星期日

A Man or a Mouse? 洛基還是弱雞?

Chris:How's it going, Jack? Are you all packed up to move?
克里斯:傑克,怎麼樣了?你全都打包好,準備要搬了嗎?
Jack:I think so. Can you help me carry this TV to the car?
傑克:我覺得差不多了。你可以幫我把這台電視搬到車上嗎?
Chris:I guess so. I have some time.
克里斯:應該沒問題。我現在有空。
Jack:Thanks. And this chair, too? And the lamp. And that desktop.
傑克:謝了。這把椅子也一起吧?還有檯燈,跟那部桌上型電腦。
Chris:Dude, can't you lift any of those things yourself? Are you a man or a mouse?
克里斯:老兄,那些東西你一樣都抬不動嗎?你是洛基還是弱雞啊?
Jack:Oh, and don't forget the mouse pad, please.
傑克:喔,別忘了還有滑鼠墊,拜託你囉。 Chris:Next time, hire a mover. 克里斯:你下次請個搬運工吧!

延伸學習 ●俚語精解 ˙a man or a mouse 克里斯答應幫傑克搬電視,沒想到傑克竟得寸進尺,克里斯忍不住發難:“Are you a man or a mouse?”。mouse指「老鼠」,這句話字面上意思是「你是男人還是老鼠?」,因mouse常被用來影射弱者,所以這句話可引申為「你是男子漢還是懦夫?」,或者更通俗說法「你是洛基還是弱雞?」
˙play (a game of) cat and mouse with someone 逗弄某人;欲擒故縱 字面意思是「和某人玩貓抓老鼠的遊戲」。貓抓老鼠的目的不盡然是為了果腹,大多數貓抓到老鼠後,只是逗弄牠們,所以引申為「逗弄某人」。另外也有「欲擒故縱」之意。 例:The police are playing a game of cat and mouse with the kidnapper.(警方正與綁匪玩貓捉老鼠的遊戲。) ˙
burn not your house to fright the mouse away 不要小題大作 burn是動詞,指「燒毀」。fright此處作動詞,表「使驚嚇」(= frighten),與 away 並用則表「把……嚇跑」,字面意思是「不要為了趕跑老鼠而把房子燒掉」。引申為「不要小題大作」。
●關鍵字詞 ˙ pack v.裝箱,打包;擠入 例:All my bags are packed, and I'm ready to go.(我已經打包好所有行李,隨時可以出發。) ˙ pad n.墊子 例:Avoid jackets with shoulder pads. They look kind of outdated.(避免有墊肩的外套。它們看起來有點過時。)

2007年12月20日 星期四

A Fox 萬人迷

對話
Mary:What do you think of the cute new guy?
瑪麗:妳覺得那新來的可愛傢伙怎麼樣?
Becky:The new guy in the shipping department? He just sits around and tells jokes all day.
貝琪:貨運部那個新人嗎?他整天閒閒沒事幹,只會四處哈啦講笑話。
Mary:But he's such a fox!
瑪麗:不過他可真是個萬人迷!
Becky:Who cares? I'm too busy to worry about that these days.
貝琪:誰在乎啊?我最近忙到沒空去想那些有的沒的。
Mary:You need to relax and have some fun. You work too hard.
瑪麗:妳得放鬆一下,找點樂趣。妳工作得太拼了。
Becky:Maybe you're right. But I'm trying to get promoted to general manager.
貝琪:或許妳說得對。但是我正努力要爬到總經理的位子。
Mary:Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore.
瑪麗:那樣的話,妳就不用再擔心那件事了。 Becky:Why?
貝琪:為什麼?
Mary:The new guy just got the position.
瑪麗:那個新人剛坐上總經理的位子。

延伸學習 ◎俚語精解˙a fox 萬人迷fox是「狐狸」。狐狸有雙細長的眼睛、尖削的下巴,若我們形容某人長得像狐狸,就是指他們長相俊美、冶艷、渾身散發出凡人無法擋的性感魅力。除此之外,我們也可以說:"He is a real fox!"。由狐狸引申出的形容詞 foxy 則表「性感的」。另有個和狐狸相關的俚語:˙as sly / cunning as a fox 老奸巨猾sly和cunning皆為形容詞,表「狡猾的」。as sly / cunning as a fox 字面上的意思是「和狐狸一樣狡猾」。由於狐狸在《伊索寓言》中常被描述成個性狡猾奸詐的動物,因此人們就用狐狸來比喻一個人、老奸巨猾。此外,我們也可以用 a sly dog 來指「狡猾的人」。
◎關鍵字詞˙shipping n. 貨運╱船務˙sit around 坐著沒事幹˙have fun 玩得開心= have a good time = have a blast˙promote vt. 升遷例:Mary was promoted to accounting manager.(瑪麗被升為會計經理。)˙position n. 職位╱職務apply for the position of + 職位  應徵某職位

2007年12月7日 星期五

易怒的客戶

Steve:Hello, Mr. Willis. What seems to be the problem?
史提夫︰您好,威利斯先生。出了什么問題嗎?
Mr.Willis:I want to give you a piece of my mind. Do you know what your secretary said to me yesterday?
威利斯先生:我想跟你表達我的不滿。你知道你的秘書昨天跟我說了什么話嗎?
Steve:What’s that?
史提夫︰她說了什么?
Mr.Willis:She told me you weren’t in the office and I’d just have to wait to talk to you. A secretary told me to wait.
威利斯先生:她告訴我你不在辦公室,我必須要等,才能和你說話。一個秘書竟然叫我等。
Steve:I apologize. I will speak to her about the tone she uses with customers.
史提夫︰我向您道歉。我會跟她談談和顧客說話的語氣。
Mr.Willis:You had better. Otherwise, I might take my business elsewhere.
威利斯先生:你最好這么做。否則我會跟別人做生意。
[多學一點點]
★touchy a. 易動怒的;過分敏感的
例︰Don be rude to Jenny. She is such a touchy person.(別對珍妮無禮。她是個容易動怒的人。)
★What seems to be the problem/matter/trouble?出了什么問題嗎?
這句話通常是說話者已知對方遭遇問題或需要協助時使用。例︰Lisa︰Hello, Computer Helpline?I need some help with my laptop.(麗沙:喂,是電腦援助專線嗎?我需要人協助處理我的手提電腦。)
Ted︰What seems to be the problem?(泰德:是什么問題呢?)
★give sb a piece of one mind 對某人不客氣地表達不滿
例︰Daniel wouldn dare to give his wife a piece of his mind.(丹尼爾不敢向太太表達自己的不滿。)

2007年12月5日 星期三

電腦中毒

Jeff:Hello, IT Department. Jeff speaking.
傑夫︰資訊部您好。我是傑夫。
Jane:Hi, Jeff. This is Jane from marketing. My computer is acting strange, and I was hoping someone could come take a look at it.
阿珍︰嗨,傑夫。我是行銷部的阿珍。我的電腦怪怪的,希望有人可以過來幫我看一下。
Jeff:No problem. What’s your computer doing?
傑夫︰沒問題。妳的電腦現在狀況如何?
Jane:It’s very slow and many of my files won’t display properly.
阿珍︰它跑得很慢,有很多檔案都無法正確顯示。
Jeff:Are you getting any error messages?
傑夫︰妳有收到錯誤訊息嗎?
Jane:Yeah, there was one that said a program was corrupted.
阿珍︰有,有個訊息說某個程式壞了。
Jeff:OK. It sounds like it’s infected with a virus. I’ll come over in a few minutes.
傑夫︰好。聽起來像是中毒了。我很快就會過去。
[多學一點點]
★virus n.電腦病毒╱病毒
複數形為viruses。
例︰The flu is a virus that many people suffer from each year. (流行性感冒是每年都讓許多人受苦的一種病毒。)
★act strange舉止怪異
strange放在act之后當補語。
★act silly 行為可笑

裝修

O=Music centre owner/音樂中心業主,R=Renovator/裝修人員
O:This is the new office.(這是新的辦公室。)
R:The shop is quite big.(店面挺大的。)
O:It is 4000 square feet.(是4000平方尺。)
R:Is the rental expensive?(租金貴嗎?)
O:Yes.The rental is high.(是的,租金很高。)
R:Okay,what would you like me to do?(好的,您要我做什么?)
O:We could have a reception area here.(接待處可在此。)
R:How big is the area?(那地方是多大?)
O:From here to there.(從這裡到那裡。)
R:All right.(好的。)
O:We could have the front part made into 3 office rooms.(我們可把那前部分做成3間辦公室。)
R:Are the size of all office rooms the same?(那些辦公室都一樣大嗎?)
O:No.We will have the first room built for the director.(不。我們將把第一間裝修給董事長。)
R:So,is the size of the director’s room double?(所以董事長的房會是雙倍大嗎?)
O:Yes.(是的)
R:Where do you want to fit the reception table?(那接待處要設在哪裡?)
O:We Will have the reception table fitted in this direction.(我們將把接待處設在這個方向。)
R:How many tables in this corner?(這個角落有多少張桌子?)
O:We want to put 3 tables.(我們要放3張桌子)
R:This corner is quite big.I suggest you could have four tables out of three.(這個角落挺大的,與其放3張,我建議你放4張桌子。)
O:That’s okay.(那好吧。)
R:Do you want to have this wall knocked?(你要把這面牆壁敲掉嗎?)
O:Okay.But I need the partition from here to there.(好的,不過我需要隔牆,從這兒到那兒的。)
R:Okay.Let me measure the area...(好的,讓我量一量那地方?)
使役詞(Causative)的英文用語分析:
在會話中,如果我們說要?或?一樣事務做好,就要用使役詞(Causative)。在使用使役詞(Causative)時,我們就須要用have/has/had+V3(第三動詞/分詞)。
1.I want to have the office premise cleaned regularly.(那辦公室我需要定期清理。)
2.He would like to have the windows replaced,because they are broken.(他要把那窗口更換,因為破了。)
3.This area is ought to have public telephones installed.(這區應該裝上公共電話。)
4.The technician has just had the bulb changed.(技術人員已經把電燈泡換了。)
5.I don want to have my desk moved to that corner.(我不要把我的桌子搬到那角落。)
6.He shouldn have had the walls painted in dark blue.(他不應該把那牆壁漆成深藍色。)
7.I had my house renovated last year.(我已在去年把我的屋子裝修好了。)
8.Did the maid have the house cleaned?(那女佣有清理那屋子嗎?)
9.Shouldn he have his car repaired soon?(他不應該快快修理他的汽車嗎?)
10.Should our company have the carpet replaced?(我們的公司應該換了那地毯嗎?)

為辦公室找新地點

Steve:I think our location is our main problem.
史提夫︰我認為問題出在辦公室的地點。
Connie:That might be true. Why don’t we look for a new office?
康妮︰也許你說得對。我們何不另外找新的地點?
Steve:Good idea. Our lease is almost up here. I’ll take a look at the real estate classifieds.
史提夫︰好主意。我們這裡的租約快到期了,我會看看分類廣告的房屋欄。
Connie:Should we contact a realtor?
康妮︰我們要不要聯絡房屋仲介?
Steve:Maybe later. For now, let’s just get some general information.
史提夫︰晚一點好了。目前,我們只要先收集概略資訊就好。
Connie:OK. I’ll let you know if I happen to see any vacant office space in a good spot.
康妮︰好,要是我碰巧看到地點好的辦公室要出租,一定會告訴你。
Steve:I’m excited. A new office could really help business pick up.
史提夫︰我真興奮,新的辦公室確實可以讓生意有起色。
[多學一點點]
★location n. 地點╱位置
★locate vt. 使坐落于
例︰My house is located in the mountains outside the city.(我家位于郊外的山

在尾牙抽到頭獎

Steve:Thanks for coming to the party, everyone! We have some great prizes tonight. I’ll draw a name for each prize and if your name is called, come on up. The first prize is a big screen TV.
史提夫︰謝謝大家來參加派對!今晚我們有一些很棒的獎品。我會為每個獎品抽出一個名字,如果叫到你的名字,請上前來。頭獎是一台大熒幕電視。
Robbie:Draw the name!
羅比︰抽個名字吧!
Steve:Ha, ha. Alright, be patient. The winner of the first prize is Anthony!
史提夫︰哈哈。好吧,有耐心點。頭獎的得主是安東尼!
Anthony:Wow, I can’t believe it. My old TV just died a couple of days ago.
安東尼︰哇,真不敢相信。我的舊電視前幾天才壞了。
Steve:Well, then enjoy your new one. Congratulations!
史提夫︰嗯,享受你的新電視吧。恭喜!
[多學一點點]
★win first prize贏得頭獎
★win/get +序數+ prize/place贏得第……獎∕名
例︰Mark won the first place in the science competition. (X)Mark won first place in the science competition. (o)(馬克贏得科學比賽第一名。)
注意:當獎項或名次作win或get的受詞時,序數詞(first, second...)前不可加定冠詞the,否則將解釋為“贏得第?個獎名次」,語意與原意不同。當獎項或名次不作win或get的受詞,而是單獨出現或作為句子的主詞時,則可加定冠詞the。例:The first prize is a big screen TV.(頭獎是一台大熒幕電視。)

賠償公司器材之損壞

Jane:Whoops!Oh, no!
阿珍:哎喲!噢,糟了!
Gordon:What is it, Jane?Are you alright?I heard a crash.
高登:阿珍,發生了什么事?妳還好吧?我聽到碰撞聲。
Jane:Yes, I’m fine. I accidentally knocked the coffee machine off the counter.
阿珍:我還好。我不小心將檯上的咖啡機打翻了。
Gordon:Well, I’m glad you’re not injured. Is it broken?
高登:嗯,還好妳沒受傷。機器壞了嗎?
Jane:I think so. I’m really sorry.
阿珍:我想是的。真的很抱歉。
Gordon:It’s fine. We’ll just have to take the price of a new one out of your salary.
高登︰沒關係。只不過我們要從妳的薪水中扣掉購買新機器的錢。
Jane:What? Why?It was just an accident.
阿珍:什么?為什么?僅一場意外罷了。
Gordon:I know, but somebody has to pay for a new one.
高登:我知道,但總得有人賠啊!
[多學一點點]
★compensation n. 賠償,補償;彌補
★compensate for... 彌補……= make up for...
例︰Nina compensated for her colleague absence by working twice as fast as usual.(妮娜以兩倍快的工作速度來彌補同事的缺席。)

計劃員工旅遊

Steve:Everyone, listen up. We just got a contract from The Jones Company.
史提夫:大家注意。我們剛剛得到瓊斯公司的合約。
Robbie:Wow!That's terrific. This will really put us on the map!
羅比:哇!太棒了,這會讓我們聲名大噪。
Steve:I'm excited, too. To celebrate, we're going to take a company trip next month. We need to start planning it right away. Any ideas for destinations?
史提夫:我也很興奮。為了慶祝,我們下個月來個員工旅遊。我們得馬上計劃,去哪裡玩比較好?
Connie:The mountains are really nice right now. We could go skiing.
康妮:這時的山上很棒,我們可以去滑雪。
Steve:Alright, perfect. We'll need to coordinate transportation and lodging. Connie will be in charge of planning the trip. Good job, everyone.
史提夫:好,太棒了。接下來要協調交通和住宿,康妮來負責安排行程。幹得好,各位。
[多學一點點]
★contract n. 合約
★sign a contract with... 與……簽定合約
例:Employee: I convinced Mr. Smith to sign a contract with us. (員工:我說服了史密斯先生和我們簽約。)
Boss: Good work!(老闆:做得好!)
★contract vt. 定下合約;感染(疾病)
例:The child contracted chicken pox.(這個小孩染上了水痘。)
★terrific a. 很棒的
例:His spoken English is terrific. (他的英文口語棒極了。)
★put...on the map使……出名
例:The horrific civil war put the small country on the map.(那場恐怖的內戰讓這個小國出了名。)

幫同事照應