2007年11月30日 星期五

盜用公款

Gordon:I called you all here because we seem to have a thief in the company.

高登:我集合大家是因為我們公司似乎有內賊。

Sandy:A thief? How do you know?

珊蒂:賊?你怎么知道?

Gordon:Accounting has informed me that the numbers from our department don’t add up.

高登:會計部通知我,我們部門的賬目不合。

Jane:Well, could it be an error in the books?

阿珍:嗯,會不會是賬本出錯了?

Gordon:It doesn’t seem like it. It seems like someone has been taking money from our department’s旧budget.

高登:似乎不是。看樣子是有人竊取部門預算。

Jane:Well, what can we do?

阿珍:那我們該怎么做?

Gordon:There will be an investigation. Let me know if you see anything suspicious.

高登:我們會展開調查。如果發現可疑的事情要讓我知道。

[多學一點點]

★inform vt. 通知,告知

★inform sb + that 子句 通知∕告知某人……

★inform sb of sth 通知∕告知某人某事

例︰Please inform me of what you are going to do with this equipment.(請告知我你們將如何處置這項設備。)

2007年11月14日 星期三

抱怨工作環境太糟

Connie:There you are, Steve. We need to talk.

康妮︰終于找到你了,史提夫。我們得談談。

Steve:What's up, Connie?

史提夫︰什么事,康妮?

Connie:The new computers haven't arrived and the mess still hasn't been cleaned up from the party. You have to do something.

康妮︰新買的電腦還沒送來,派對遺留下來的一團亂也尚未清理。你得想個辦法。

Steve:I'm sorry, Connie. I've been very busy outside the office. I can't be in two places at once.

史提夫︰真抱歉,康妮。我之前一直在公司外頭忙,實在是分身乏術。

Connie:Well, we can't work under these conditions, Steve.

康妮︰嗯,我們沒辦法在這種環境中工作,史提夫。

Steve:Don't worry. I'm here now. I'll get it sorted out.

史提夫︰別擔心,有我在。我會把事情處理好。

Connie:I hope so. Productivity is very low in this office right now.

康妮︰希望如此。目前公司的生產力實在很低。

[多學一點點]

★What's up?有什么事情嗎?怎么了?

= What's the matter?

例︰What's up, Harry? You look so worried.(發生什么事了,哈利?你看來憂心忡忡的樣子。)

What's up?亦可用于打招呼上,此時翻作“你好嗎?”、“最近如何?”但回答時不可說:I'm fine, thank you.,應回答:Nothing much.(很好。沒什么。)Same as usual.(老樣子。)

2007年11月9日 星期五

自己創業

Steve:Hi, Jane, it’s Steve.

史提夫︰嗨,阿珍。我是史提夫。

Jane:Hi, Steve. I haven’t heard from you in a while.

阿珍︰嗨,史提夫。我好一陣子沒有你的消息了。

Steve:Well, I’ve been busy. I’ve started my own company.

史提夫︰嗯,我一直都很忙。我自己開公司了。

Jane:Wow. What kind of business is it?

阿珍︰哇,你從事哪方面的事業呢?

Steve:Just a little Internet startup. I’m recruiting staff and I want you to come work for me.

史提夫︰只是剛起步的小網絡公司罷了。我正在招募員工,而我想請妳來上班。

Jane:Actually, I just got started working at the old company again.

阿珍︰事實上,我才剛回舊東家工作。

Steve:I didn’t realize you were going back. Well, can you recommend someone else?

史提夫︰我不知道妳回舊公司上班。那好吧,妳有可以推薦給我的人選嗎?

[多學一點點]

★hear from sb 接到某人的來信╱消息

例︰Tom, have you heard from Sean lately?(湯姆,你最近有接到尚恩的消息嗎?)

hear from sb 指透過信件得到某人的消息;“期盼接到您的回信。”可寫︰I look forward to hearing from you.

★in a while 有一陣子╱不久

例︰I haven seen you in a while. How have you been?(我有一陣子沒見到你了。你還好嗎?)

例︰Ms. Smith will be with you in a while.(史密斯小姐待會兒就會過來陪你。)