2008年1月25日 星期五

When Pigs Fly絕不可能的事;天方夜譚

2008年1月18日 星期五

Be as Quiet as a Mouse 悄然無聲

Jeremy:Be quiet!

傑洛米:別出聲!

Laura:Don't worry. I'll be as quiet as a mouse.

蘿拉:別擔心,我會靜悄悄的。

Jeremy:I'm pretty sure we can get in without being seen.

傑洛米:我敢確定我們一定能溜進去不被發現。

Laura:But why are we sneaking around?Isn't this your apartment?

蘿拉:可是我們幹嘛要這樣偷偷摸摸的?這不是你的公寓嗎?

Jeremy:Yeah, but it's my birthday, and my roommates like to play tricks on birthdays.

傑洛米:是啊,但是今天是我生日,我室友喜歡在生日的時候整人。

Laura:Like what?

蘿拉:怎么說?

Jeremy:Let's just say that after my last birthday, I found out how long it takes for eyebrows to grow back.

傑洛米:這樣說好了,上次我生日過后,我才發現眉毛要長回來要花多久的時間。

[多學一點點]

★be as quiet as a mouse

quiet是形容詞,表示“安靜的”,be as quiet as a mouse字面上的意思是“像老鼠一樣安靜”。老鼠總是偷偷摸摸地在夜裡行動,因此英語就用“像老鼠一樣安靜”來比喻“靜悄悄的”,安靜到一點聲音也沒有。

★sneakvi.偷偷摸摸

例:Nick tried to sneak into the classroom but was caught by the teacher.(尼克想偷溜進教室,卻被老師抓包。)

2008年1月15日 星期二

If March Comes in like a Lion, It Goes out like a Lamb

Jessie:Brrr! It's already March, but it's so cold today! I can't stand it.

潔西:呼!都已經三月了,今天還這么冷!真受不了。

Peter:Well, you know what they say. If March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb.

彼得:呵,妳知道俗話說得好,三月來時仿若雄獅,去時有如羔羊。

Jessie:I hope so. First spring, and then some nice, hot, summer weather.

潔西:但願如此。一開始是春天,接著就是舒服又熱情的夏天。

Peter:What's your favorite thing to do in the summer?

彼得:妳在夏天最喜歡做什么?

Jessie:I like to play video games or chat online.

潔西:我喜歡打電玩遊戲或上網聊天。

Peter:But don't you go outside and do things in the sun?

彼得:但是,妳不會想出去玩、曬曬太陽嗎?

Jessie:Are you crazy? Get sweaty and sunburned? No, thanks!

潔西:你瘋了嗎?搞得滿身大汗又被曬傷?我才不要,謝了!

[多學一點點]

★sweaty a. 滿身是汗的

例:All players were sweaty after the twenty-minute warm-up.(全部球員在20分鐘暖身后,都滿身是汗了。)

2008年1月11日 星期五

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing披著羊皮的狼∕偽君子

Mr. Green:That candidate seems to be a good choice.

葛林先生:那位候選人似乎是不錯選擇。

Mr. Black:I know. What an honest face he has!

布雷克先生:我知道。看他那張臉,多老實啊!

Mr. Green:I'm telling everyone to vote for him.

葛林先生:我叫大家都投他一票。

Mr. Black:Well, don't bother telling Sally. She thinks he's a wolf in sheep's clothing.

布雷克先生:呃,不用費功夫去跟莎莉說了。她認為他是隻披著羊皮的狼。

Mr. Green:How could she think that? Didn't she see him holding a baby on TV?

葛林先生:她怎么會這樣想?難道她沒看到他在電視上抱著小寶寶的樣子嗎?

Mr. Black:I guess she thinks he's only trying to get elected.

布雷克先生:我想她認為他只是想勝選。

Mr. Green:No one would hold a baby just to get more votes.

葛林先生:沒有人會靠抱小寶寶這招來騙選票的。

Mr. Black:Well, I would.

布雷克先生:這個嘛,我就會。

[多學一點點]

★a wolf in sheep's clothing

clothing是集合名詞,為“衣物”總稱;介詞in在本俚語中表“穿著”。a wolf in sheep's clothing 字面上的意思即指“披著羊皮的狼”,引申為“表面上假惺惺,骨子裡不安好心的人”。本俚語源自《伊索寓言》。

2008年1月1日 星期二

A Mickey Mouse Job閒差事

對話
Jill:Ohhh, I ate too much pizza today.
吉兒:噢……,我今天吃太多披薩了。
Sandra:How's your new job at this pizza shop?
珊卓拉:你在披薩店的新工作做得怎樣?
Jill:It's a Mickey Mouse job. I just sit around all day, and maybe talk to my boyfriend on the phone.
吉兒:不過是份閒差事啦。我只是整天閒閒坐著,不然就打電話跟男朋友聊天。
Sandra:That's so cool.
珊卓拉:酷斃了。
Jill:Sometimes when there's a customer, I even tell them to come back later because I don't feel like cooking.
吉兒:有時客人上門,我甚至叫他們等會兒再來,因為本小姐沒心情下廚。
Sandra:What?Jill, don't you think that's going too far?
珊卓拉:啥?吉兒,你這樣不會太扯了嗎?
Jill:It's okay, I usually tell them how to get to the pasta restaurant down the street.
吉兒:沒啥大不了的。我通常會跟他們講怎麼走到街尾那家義大利麵店。



延伸學習
●俚語精解
.Mickey Mouse job
Mickey Mouse(米老鼠)是家喻戶曉的迪士尼卡通動畫明星,而 job 則是「工作」、「差事」的意思。本俚語從字面直譯是「米老鼠工作」,實際上卻是指某些瑣碎(trivial)、無足輕重(unimportant),或沒前途的工作(a dead-end job)。
例:I've been trying to get myself busy, but no customer ever shows up.
This Mickey Mouse job truly sucks.(我一直努力想讓自己忙起來,但連個客人也沒有。這沒前途的工作真爛。)
●關鍵字詞
.sit around 閒坐╱鬼混
例:Stop sitting around,and go get yourself a job!(別再鬼混了,快去找份工作吧!)
.on the phone 講電話(中)
例:How much time do you spend each day on the phone?(你每天花多少時間講電話?)
例:I'm sorry, but Mr. Peterson can't see you now. He is on the phone.(很抱歉,現在彼得森先生無法見您。他正講電話中。)
.feel like N╱V-ing= fancy N╱V-ing 想做…╱想要…
例:I don't feel like going out tonight. = I don't fancy going out tonight.(我今晚不想出門。)
.pasta n.義大利麵食